Re: nvidia driver breaks with pretty much every F8 update

Peter McNeil wrote:
For some reason the update to a new kernel seems to randomly point to a kernel to boot by default which would be OK but the livna nvidia setup breaks the older kernels nvidia module, so you need to make sure you boot on the latest kernel by default (by editing /etc/grub.conf to point to the latest kernel).

I checked with uname that I was running the most recent kernel.
Using the previous kernel, I was able to get X running in 800x600 mdel (i.e. useless on my WSXGA+ screen).

Also, I got disgusted with the fights between livna and atrpms a long time ago, and now I don't have a single livna package on my system.

The "solution" is to install the nvidia module manually from the nvidia site download, which is not really a simple option.

Ugh.  And then recompile it with every kernel update, right?