Re: NetworkManager is driving me crazy

I was just about to send in a message with pretty much
this title, so I thought I might as well jump in here.
 I just finished installing fc8 from the livecd. I was
using fc7, which I "yum upgraded" from fc4 to fc5 to
fc6 to fc7 with minimal problems. I have been using
Linux since slackware .8 (I believe. It came on 25 or
so floppies that I downloaded over a 1200 baud modem)
and I don't ever remember being so frustrated.
 I have NetworkManager running at start-up and
NetworkManager-Dispatcher also. Why? I don't know. I
am connected through a DSL modem and eth0, and dhcp
which I previously managed with "system config
network" for a couple of years without problems. I
have no wireless.
 My initial problem was that eth0 was not activated on
start-up, NetworkManager was starting eth0 and then
taking it down, according to /var/log/messages.
According to what I read about NetworkManager, it's
first task is to keep wired connections up. I tried I
tried to RTFM and found no useful information, I tried
google, and found no useful information I tried the FC
wiki, and found no useful information.
 I tried to see the NetworkManager-info that the docs
mentioned and found out I don't have that. Finally, by
doing a "rpm -ql NetworkManager I found some "nm"
scripts to get it configured. I still had problems so
I tried to "yum remove NetworkManager and dispatcher"
and it, for dependency, removed pidgin, which I want
to message with my daughter. I used pidgin in fc7
without NetworkManager very easily. So I tried "yum
install pidgin. Lo and behold it also installed
NetworkManager.
 Now I have NetworkManager installed and running.
 As a paranoid procedure, I usually disable eth0 when
I am not using the computer for a while and then turn
it on when I come back. Now, when I turn it on I get a
segfault in system-config-network
  "Determining IP information for eth0 ..
/network-functions line 313 segnentation fault iplink
set dev $/up> dev/null 2&1"

 Sorry if I shouldn't have used this title. I just
needed to vent a little (a lot?) I am not quite sure
what to do next, remove NetworkManager (Gosh, I get
tired of typing that) somehow without removing pidgin,

get a new IM program? ( I hate to do that because
configuring pidgin was problematic for me.) Set
Network Manager to not run as a service, turn off the
modem when I leave?
 I am probably doing something dumb, it tends to come
with age, but I would appreciate any suggestions.