Re: OT? port forwarding help

Dave Stevens wrote:
Hi,

I need to set up a web server in a place where there are two routers between it and by broadband connection. The routers are cheap domestic units and different brands and models. I don't understand port forwarding well enough to be sure inbound http packets get to the right machines. Can anyone refer me to a good tutorial or reference on the topic?

Normally the router will have a web interface with a fill-in-the-form screen for where you want inbound connections to go. Most of the vendors will have manuals on line in the support section of their web sites. The tricky part is that you need the DNS name seen from the public side to give the routers IP addresses (and more than one is OK), while from your private LAN you will probably want that name to give you the private IP of the server.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx