Re: OT? port forwarding help

On Saturday 22 March 2008 04:46:32 pm John Summerfield wrote:
> Dave Stevens wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to set up a web server in a place where there are two routers
> > between it and by broadband connection. The routers are cheap domestic
> > units and different brands and models. I don't understand port forwarding
> > well enough to be sure inbound http packets get to the right machines.
> > Can anyone refer me to a good tutorial or reference on the topic?
>
> A tutorial, I don't know about (or expect).
>
> The specifics are particular to the vendor; I suggest you do what seems
> right and then test via the other internet connexion). If it doesn't
> work, read the instructions again. Repeat until done.
>
> _I_ prefer to put these things into bridging mode and then do it
> properly in Linux. Google and shorewall can help with that, but the
> specifics of how to get the device into bridging more depends.
>
> If these devices were provided by the IAP (and maybe if not), you should
> be able to get help there.
>

> --
>
> Cheers
> John

Thanks John,

I found this great web site that has tutorials and a very detailed list of
makes and models of routers with lots of very specific instructions for how
to set up forwarding for X application on Y's router model Z. Recommended.

Dave

http://www.portforward.com/

--
There is no single government agency that views sustainability through a broad
lens, taking into account the values of the people affected by government

Mr. Justice David Vickers, BC Supreme Court in Tsilhqot'in Nation v. British
Columbia,2007