Re: Confessions of a secret NM user

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Mark C. Allman <mcallman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

...... Original Message .......
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:14:58 -0700 "Rick Stevens" <ricks@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Mea culpa.
>>
>> Having attacked NM (NetworkManager) unmercifully in the past,
>> I now find myself completely at his (her?) mercy,
>> as he/she is the only way of connecting one of my current laptop
>> (with WiFi) to the real world.
>>
>> For some reason, system-config-network has been getting steadily worse
>> over the last few months, and now does not work at all.
>> (At its best it worked about 65% of the time.)
>>
>> Is anyone successfully using the network service + system-config-network
>> with Fedora-8 (updated)?
>>
>> To be more precise, has anyone found themselves NOT connected with WiFi,
>> and found the problem solved by running system-config-network?
>
>Yes.  Easily 95% of my systems are hard-wired and use system-config-
>network (well, make that "service network start").  They're all using
>fixed IPs, though.
>
>I've only used NM/NMD on very rare occasions.  Even my laptop on wifi
>with WPA nodes and DHCP uses the regular stuff.  I did have to sort out
>wpa_supplicant and dhclient things, but that wasn't hard to do.

What I've found for the past month or so is that for my laptop (Dell XPS
1710, Intel 3945 wireless) when I resume from hibernation I must restart
wpa_supplicant before I can bring up a wireless connection:
       service wpa_supplicant restart
       ifup eth1

 I don't have it up but it's F8 and the kernel I'm running is something
like 2.6.23.137.  Hibernate doesnlt quite work in the 2.6.24.?? kernels.

NetworkManager hasn't worked for managing the wireless in quite a while.  I
haven't had time to rip into it to figure out why (wish I did!).

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263
-- (From my Treo 700p)

I am using NM on a newer dell vostro with intel wireless 3945 and it has worked flawlessly for the few weeks its been running. I haven't used or tried to use anything but NM.

Max