Re: 2.6.24.3 SMP kernel sees only one of my 2 cores..

Gautam Thaker wrote:
I am running Fedora Core 8 w/ all the updates installed. The kernel
version is 2.6.24.3-34.fc8 SMP. I  have been using the system happily
for about 2 months. I don't know just when, but in last week, the
kernel sees only  1 of my 2 cores. I know i have run quite some time
w/ 2 cores. I am not sure if this is related to some SW update or a
bios problem (i loaded "defaults" in bios) or can the CPU actually
break and be left w/ just 1 core?  I do see a msg at start up, at very
start, that says:

i8042c: can not read CTR when initializing i8042.

Can this be related to my problem? Any hints welcome, I tried lots of
google search but did not find anything related.

Gautam

[root@zadapi-L gthaker]# more /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 107
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 1000.000
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat
pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp
lm 3dnowext
 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy misalignsse
ts fid vid
 ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps
bogomips        : 2010.70
clflush size    : 64

THERE SHOULD BE 1 MORE PROCESSOR....!

Check the bios settings, someone else lost most of his cores and traced it back to a bios setting that caused the cpus to not be seen in some version of the kernel.

He had disabled CPUID LIMIT in the bios and cpus disappeared in some kernel versions, see if yours is enabled or disabled.

Also a number of other bios settings will cause cpus to disappear.

                           Roger