2.6.24.3 SMP kernel sees only one of my 2 cores..

I am running Fedora Core 8 w/ all the updates installed. The kernel
version is 2.6.24.3-34.fc8 SMP. I  have been using the system happily
for about 2 months. I don't know just when, but in last week, the
kernel sees only  1 of my 2 cores. I know i have run quite some time
w/ 2 cores. I am not sure if this is related to some SW update or a
bios problem (i loaded "defaults" in bios) or can the CPU actually
break and be left w/ just 1 core?  I do see a msg at start up, at very
start, that says:

i8042c: can not read CTR when initializing i8042.

Can this be related to my problem? Any hints welcome, I tried lots of
google search but did not find anything related.

Gautam

[root@zadapi-L gthaker]# more /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 107
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 1000.000
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat
pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp
lm 3dnowext
 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy misalignsse
ts fid vid
 ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps
bogomips        : 2010.70
clflush size    : 64