Re: Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 08:43 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> > I'm not arguing that it doesn't happen.  I've experienced a few.  The
> > original post was directed to a fellow who wants to run a home server on
>
> The original post was by valent.turkovic and  actually referred to a
> document written by someone who'd decided Fedora was a poor choice for a
> server, and invited comment.

Sorry, let me rephrase that.  The post to which I originally responded
was from a fellow who wanted to run a home server on his desktop.

> I would think that a home Linux user running a server controlling his
> Internet connexion and maybe providing mail and http caching is fairly
> common. While maybe not life-threatening, its sudden lack might be
> pretty inconvenient.

Depending on the mood that my wife is in when her internet connection
gets severed, it could indeed be life threatening.

> _Mine_ is running CentOS4 and is on a UPS (the UPS because used good
> ones can be bought pretty cheaply at auction).

Mine are on UPSes as well (new ones aren't that expensive either).
Still, the wireless access point is in a different part of the house,
and isn't on a UPS.  Fortunately, the wife gets vexed with the power
company on the occasions where that's a problem.

Dave