Re: Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

Bradley Pursley wrote:
Valent Turkovic wrote:
http://www.mjmwired.net/linux/2008/02/11/fedora-makes-a-terrible-server/

What is your experience ?

Cheers,
Valent.
My main concern / problem is that it doesn't seem like the updates are

Perhaps you should read this document,http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives and particularly note this para. "To be on the leading edge of free and open source technology, by adopting and helping develop new features and version upgrades."

Being on the leading edge mitigates seriously against reliability.

very well tested thereby *CAUSING* crashes, lockups, etc. Until this lack of concern is fixed, I would not recommend Fedora for servers. Something that might help is by allowing updates to be undone automatically if there is a problem and then to "lock out" that update from being applied again until the next generation of that update comes out. Another problem I've noticed is that when new software is being installed, there are no tests done to verify that it installed and is working correctly, which has been a big problem on my system. I've had to manually "fix" quite a number of the installs and sometimes when it updates the software, it undoes my fixes and I have to re-apply the fix again, which is highly aggravating. Updates should not automatically mess with the configuration files, especially if they've been manually changed, unless it prompts the system user and gives you the option of whether you want the updated file or just want to adjust the current one. For programming, this would be easy to implement without changing packaging requirements (don't overwrite older non-executable files, just rename them or move them to a "backup" location and advise user of the change).

Just my ten cents worth.

Bradley

You need to more properly understand what it is you're using. Alan (Cox) is a software developer, he has a different perspective than I have. My primary interest has been keeping systems running, and that requires a more conservative approach to systems maintenance.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait