Re: nvidia driver breaks with pretty much every F8 update

On Tue March 25 2008, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 6:49 PM, David Kramer <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  Also, I got disgusted with the fights between livna and atrpms a long
> >  time ago, and now I don't have a single livna package on my system.
>
> There in lies your problem. Always go with Livna.

why? sorry, but this kind of statement always irritates me --

I explain: there was a time a few years back where Livna was having a hard
time getting sufficient manpower to keep their kernel-modules coming in a
timely fashion, and they were taking up to several days at one point to get
them out - there was even a public appeal for volunteers to help at one point
on one of these mail-lists

I was using freshrpms selectively at that time, because it provided Cinelerra
and all the packages that were needed for dependencies - and Livna did not

There were also issues with the mplayer that Livna was providing in this
time-frame

Somewhere along the way, someone on this list posted about the freshrpms
nvidia driver and the dkms script; I decided to try it. I post the results of
that experiment elsewhere in this thread

So, at some point, in that time-frame, I switched to freshrpms and disabled
Livna, and for some years, I have always gone with freshrpms

BUT, I don't advocate that anyone always go with anything in this regard. It
depends on your needs, and the mix of packages you depend on. I think the
advice that you do NOT keep both Livna AND the sourceforge repos enabled all
the time is still sound advice, I think -- though I don't monitor these
things closely enough to say that with absolute authority, I still keep
hearing that you can still get into dependency problems keeping both enabled

There is still the occasional time when I enable Livna to get a specific
package for some very specific reason - I never run a general update with it
enabled, though.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA