How do I deactivate the X11 video device auto-settings?

Okay, time to move on to the next annoying problem with my machine.

I need to know if someone can tell me that will force X11 to default to a specific display mode (24 bit color w/ 1024x768 resolution) when it starts up. I am using an LCD display that is not very forgiving in other graphic video modes and for some reason, even though I have that listed as the only option in xorg.conf, it still switches to another video mode when it first starts up. When I force a restart to the Xserver, then and only then does it use the video mode I specified. Some help here would be appreciated and here is the section of my config file that contains the setting:

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   Device     "Videocard0"
   DefaultDepth     24