Re: Dislin breaks 37 libraries on Fedora 8

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 19:09 +0800, Steve Underwood wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:

> > Yes, if Motif had been open, or lesstif had worked from the start, a
> > lot of things could be about a decade ahead of where they are now...
> >

> Well, that seems like a totally meaningless response, lacking any
> connection with history.
>
> OpenMotif was made open. The distros, like RedHat went for it and
> dropped support for lesstif, killing its development. Later, they
> decided OpenMotif wasn't open enough after all - seems like a case of a
> lack of due diligence - but by this time lesstif had withered and died.
> Now they have put a totally useless lesstif back into their distros, and
> carry on as if nothing is wrong. The only snag is nothing requiring a
> motif environment actually works properly.

Steve,
For those of us that never had much use for Motif in the first place,
could you give just a very brief overview of it's history, what it was
supposed to become and what it is now? Is Motif (open or closed) now
superseded by newer and more robust apps??  You seem to know a good deal
of it and your views may be better than some webpage's or a blog.

Thanks in advance, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar