Re: Dislin breaks 37 libraries on Fedora 8

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:43:28 -0600
"Joseph Thames" <beartham@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yesterday I installed the Dislin-9.2-1 Linux rpm along with openmotif
> 2.2.3.10.fc4.2 and xorg-X11-libs 6.8.1-12.fc3.1, which it requires.

You installed a Fedora 3 X library on a Fedora 8 box ? Yes that would
make a mess. Put the Fedora 8 X libraries it lists as broken back and your
machine should be well again. I'm suprised it was possible as yum should
have spotted any clashing files.

Fedora doesn't, as you've noticed, include openmotif just lesstif. You
can either build OpenMotif yourself against a modern X library set or
build the app against lesstif. We don't include OpenMotif because it is
non-free software and in addition has some really peculiar licencing
interactions (eg you can't use it with the binary Nvidia drivers as it
may only be used with an "Open Source Operating System")

Alan