----- Original Message ----- From: "Markus Kesaromous" <remotestar@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, 2008, March 14 12:12

If the drives are IDENTICAL (i.e: manufacturer and model number and size),
AND you boot the new drive in the SAME hardware box,
then yes, IT MIGHT WORK - but no guarantees.
The reason (I was told - but am  not sure) is that windows places
information in blocks that are not part of the file system, and so
they are invisible to the FS. Furthermore, when copying, as with dd,
from one windows disk to another, will not guarantee that these hidden
information blocks will end up in the same block address on the
neww drive. Why? because each HD has it's own bad blocks
and reserved set of blocks for bad block forwarding during
low level format. When windows gets installed, it locates reserverd
block addresses and uses them for such a scheme - and since the
addresses of these reserved blocks are different from disk to disk,
windows will detect that it is a clone.

Please be aware that I am only paraphrasing what I was told. I do not
know in fact if this is true.

Good Luck,
Markus

Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:01:37 -0400
From: curoli@xxxxxxxxx

     Dear friends,

  I need to copy the hard disk of a Windows computer to a new hard
disk of equal size. I was thinking of connecting both drives
(SATA/150), booting from the Fedora 8 Rescue Disk and then do

  dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

  in hope that after that, the second hard disk can be used in place
of the first one (including booting Windows, of course).

  Does this work? Thanks!

     Take care
     Oliver

--