Re: Copying a Hard Disk Containing Windows With Fedora

Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
     Dear friends,

  I need to copy the hard disk of a Windows computer to a new hard
disk of equal size. I was thinking of connecting both drives
(SATA/150), booting from the Fedora 8 Rescue Disk and then do

  dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

  in hope that after that, the second hard disk can be used in place
of the first one (including booting Windows, of course).

  Does this work? Thanks!

If the drives are not totally identical, I believe that you want to create a partition on the destination of the same type and size, make it active and then copy the partition (with dd as you proposed). There was a reason for doing it that way, but I have no idea what it is/was years after learning that the hard way.

If you have an identical drive just do what you wanted, it should work.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>