Re: Anyone know of good Linux GPS driving map software?

Gene Heskett wrote:

	I tried long and hard a couple years back with CrossOverOffice
(CXO); and got to where it would launch and run Garmin, Maptech, and
Topo.com (but not Delorme) -- and couldn't enable any of them to talk to
any of my GPSs. Maybe you'd have better luck now.

	One of the machines on my desk has a second hard drive that I can
boot to XP when I want to bad enough; I'm in process of looking for a
sturdy laptop with XP still on it for the car.
I left 25GB for xp to play in on that lappy, but the default boot is to
linux.
You'd have a fair chance of making this work if you install the free
VMware server on the linux side and configure it to use the windows
partiton.  Even better if you create a virtual vmware drive and install
windows into it. You'll have to re-activate your xp, perhaps either way.

Re-activate?  AFAIK, it still works, dual boot setup from the gitgo.

With VMware you don't have to dual-boot. You can run both at once. In fact if you have enough RAM you can run several virtual machines with the same or different OS at once - and you can pick which one sees real hardware components like the CD and USB ports.

OTOH, if Bill has had his folks figgur out a way to reach through linux, and trash the xp partition, well, sniff. On second thought, Nah, I won't miss it. The warranty is about up, and when its done, so is xp anyway.

XP sees different hardware when running under VMware (because it is a virtual emulation), which will trigger the license request. I've forgotten if this applies every time you switch between VMware and normal booting when you run from a native partition or not. You can probably get away with calling Microsoft a few times, telling them something broke or you had a virus and had to re-install since that's such a likely scenario...

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx