Re: Anyone know of good Linux GPS driving map software?

On Friday 14 March 2008, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:
>On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 08:10:43 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Friday 14 March 2008, pursley1@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>>I am looking for advice, as part of my migration from Windows, to find a
>>>good replacement for my Delorme Street Atlas program, which only runs in
>>>Windows.  [....]
>>
>> google for roadnav, I used it just a few months ago for a 3000 mile trip
>> with the lappy riding in the shotgun seat hooked to my now elderly
>> garmin 12 gps.
>
>	If you are technoid enough to run it (as Gene is, and I'm not),
>roadnav is a good app; I've been trying for ten years to find either an
>app that I can, or an emulator that can run Delorme, Garmin, and Maptech
>software *and* make them talk to a GPS.

ISTR I had to dig out the book on that old gps of mine (Garmin 12, ancient)
and change its default output data format to something roadnav understood, and
their acronyms aren't all that helpfull.

Also, thanks for the flowers but I'm getting to be an old fart at 73.  Back in
the 40's, I was what the kids would all call a hopeless nerd or geek, quit
school and went out to fix all the worlds tv's when I was 14, switched to
broadcasting in '64, and have had the title of Chief Engineer on the
office/shop door most of the time since '77.  I play engineer at a tv
station, but aren't 'papered', but I am a C.E.T., a much tougher test than
the FCC's 1st phone ever thought of being.

>	I tried long and hard a couple years back with CrossOverOffice
>(CXO); and got to where it would launch and run Garmin, Maptech, and
>Topo.com (but not Delorme) -- and couldn't enable any of them to talk to
>any of my GPSs. Maybe you'd have better luck now.
>
>	One of the machines on my desk has a second hard drive that I can
>boot to XP when I want to bad enough; I'm in process of looking for a
>sturdy laptop with XP still on it for the car.

I left 25GB for xp to play in on that lappy, but the default boot is to linux.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)