Re: What do you think about compat-wireless, iwl3945, & how does kernel find "updates" modules?

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 10:36 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> So, you probably want to run system-config-network and disable the
> device there.  You probably also want to do this:
>
>         service wpa_supplicant stop
>         chkconfig wpa_supplicant off
>
> And for my personal tastes:
>
>         chkconfig NetworkManager on

I've only had the occasional play with wireless, as I only have one
thing with wireless (my laptop).  It's only when I go walkies with it
that I can try it out.  Quite some time ago I learn that you either run
the network service *or* the network manager service, but not both at
the same time.  But this is the first time I've come across being told
to turn off the wpa_supplicant service.

When I was playing with it, it took a bit of jiggery pokery to get a
network running - with stopping and restarting the wpa_supplicant
service, and fiddling around elsewhere.

Since I don't have wireless here, and I found network manager brought up
the network too late (e.g. NTP wasn't connecting, and that holds up the
boot sequence), I've left it off and went along with using the network
service, by itself.  I would like to get this all working automatically,
and without pain.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.