What do you think about compat-wireless, iwl3945, & how does kernel find "updates" modules?

I'm making some progress on understanding my wireless troubles and the
iwl3945 driver for ipw3945.

In my adventure with the iwl3945 driver and the new-ish Fedora
kernels, I found this page by Bill Moss at Clemson.  It explains some
details I've not found elsewhere.

http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/f8-nm-iwl3945-B.shtml

It mentions a project compat-wireless which has daily-updated code for
many different network kernel modules. Here's the tarball

 http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2

The patches mentioned on Bill Moss's page are already applied in the
compat-wireless package that is online today.  It is updated every
day.

I can verify that compat-wireless it is easy to install and, after
comparing the code day after day, it really does change every day.

I'm a little concerned that  they don't have a marker in the file name
to indicate the date, because when you find one that works, you'd like
to be able to refer people to it.

A case  in point. I have the Intel ipw3945 wireless in a Dell Laptop.
It hardly ever works under the iwl3945 driver in the 2.6.24 kernel
from Fedora, but I have had some luck experimenting with various koji
kernels.  I never could figure out why it would change from day to
day, but I'm getting an idea that it traces back to the
compat-wireless changing from day to day.

Today, after updating the compat-wireless modules and restarting, it
actually found some networks and joined one.  I almost fainted.
NetworkManager working?  I had a dream like this last week, but a
twenty-five year old Farrah Fawcett was in it too, so I knew it was
not real.  There's no Farrah today, so I'm guessing I just got lucky
with the iwl3945 from compat-wireless. :)

If you are one of the suffering iwl3945 users with the 2.6.24 kernel,
I wonder if the compat-wireless modules will help you as well?  You
might as well try it.  It is as easy as a "make" and "make install"
"make unload" and "make load". Or a restart.  Their directions are
great.

I don't think you will see any new information in dmesg, the version
information is the same with either the kernel's iwl3945 driver or the
update.  1/2/26kds is the version:

$ dmesg | grep iwl
iwl3945: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG/BG Network Connection driver
for Linux, 1.2.26kds
iwl3945: Copyright(c) 2003-2007 Intel Corporation
iwl3945: Detected Intel Wireless WiFi Link 3945ABG
iwl3945: Tunable channels: 11 802.11bg, 13 802.11a channels
phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'iwl-3945-rs'

But today it worked, and that's mainly what I'm here to say.

Here's my follow up question.  When you run make install in the
compat-wireless package, it drops a bunch of kernel modules into your
/lib/modules hierearchy. It does not wipe out what you have, but
rather it drops them in a directory structure it creates and it runs
depmod for you. In my case today, the files are installed under:

/lib/modules/2.6.24.3-22.fc8/updates/drivers/net

I'm a little puzzled why or how the kernel (or is it depmod?) knows to
use the updates drivers before the ones provided by the kernel. See
what I mean, I have both sets still:

$ find . -name "mac8*"
./kernel/net/mac80211
./kernel/net/mac80211/mac80211.ko