Re: Wireless newbies -- just try NetworkManager!

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:32 PM, Mike Chambers <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 12:40 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>

>  Yes, but what about "wired" networks?  That is what I have, and the
>  default doesn't work for me.  I had to turn it off, or at least make
>  sure network was setup and running as my /etc/resolv.conf file wasn't
>  even configured, and it was initially during install.
>
>  --
>  Mike Chambers

Ha! I just tested this.

Today I was on a wireless access point and suspended the laptop. Went
to a lab where there is no wireless, only a wire with DHCP.  opened up
laptop, and VIOLA, NM found the wire and turned it on.  It gathered
the DNS numbers and everything.

As far as I understand the comments from other people, NM does not
work with static assigned IP numbers and it may/will wreck settings in
/etc/resolv.conf.  That is a bit of a problem, and I think the only
thing to do is to use the nm-applet to turn off its networking
activity, and then use the old fashioned way to activate the static ip
(use system-config-network).   I believe the static IP service from NM
is being developed, but I don't know much more than what is posted in
here.

But I am open to correction there, as usual.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science