Re: Wireless newbies -- just try NetworkManager!

Todd Zullinger <tmz@xxxxxxxxx> wtote:

Tom Diehl wrote:
> But if you did not know there was an easy way, what do you have to
> do to get back to a clean slate?

That depends a bit on what someone might have done prior to learning
about and trying NM. ;)

> I have NM working on my laptop but when I boot it does not start
> automatically.  I have to start it manually. It is enabled in
> chkconfig. Once it is running the wireless works mostly. It
> sometimes drops the connection but telling NM to reconnect gets the
> connection working again. The card is madwifi.

What does "chkconfig --list NetworkManager; chkconfig --list network"
output?  I believe you want to see this:

NetworkManager  0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
network         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

Mine looks like this:
(bullwinkle pts8) # chkconfig --list NetworkManager; chkconfig --list network
NetworkManager  0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
network         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
(bullwinkle pts8) #

If I set the network to off, when I reboot the machine, the rpc and nfs stuff
fails to start and I still do not get NM after boot. Starting NM after I login
gets the wireless to work.

Any other ideas?

Regards,

Tom