Re: Install question #1 - repository location

Kam Leo wrote:
On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm trying to find the best location for a repository to do FC8
 installs. My first two trials were direct from DVD and NFS mounted. The
 NFS mount showed that the max data rate to the new machine was only
 about 12MB/s, so transfer rate isn't an issue, it's Gbit connection.
 Therefore, I suspect that seek time may be an issue, I'm wondering if
 people have compared putting the repository on a USB stick instead of
 network.

 --
 Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>

Drive seek times are in the range of 8 - 20 ms. Your NFS server's hard
drive has 8 - 32 MB of cache. The server's I/O driver provides
additional caching/buffering. Data is being accessed sequentially,
i.e. beginning of file to end of file. Unless the server has a heavy
I/O workload the disk access/seek times should be completely masked by
the buffering.

I don't see how you get that, for many small RPMs the transfer time would be no larger than the disk seek time, even if only 100Mbit or so is actually used.

How is the server drive's seek time a limiting factor when your target
system also has to store that same data on its own drive?

Flash drive install will be faster because you eliminate the
networking protocol overhead.

That was the unresolved issue. Gbit networking is faster than the USB bus, but I never saw any indication that the transfer rates over the network were taking advantage of that, they barely would reach the limit of 100Mbit. That's why I was wondering if the faster seek on a flash would be more important than the slower transfer rate.

Note: I was really surprised at how many packages are small, on the DVD 25% are <50k.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>