Re: Who sets /dev/snd/* owners/perms upon login?

Chris Snook escreveu:
Juan Carlos Castro y Castro wrote:
When I log in from the text consoles or the native GUI (but not by ssh) the pemissions and owner in /dev/snd are changed to 0600 and the logged-in user, respectively. I can't find where, or in what script, this is done. I'd like to disable that behavior and leave all permissions in /dev/snd to 0666, without them being changed behind my back when someone logs in. How can I do this?

This happens in Fedora 8. I imagine earlier Fedoras do that too.

ConsoleKit is the app that changes permissions behind your back when people log in on a physical console. Of course, if you disable it then you'll probably be stuck with the 0600 permissions, which you can then fix with a udev rule.

Personally, I just completely remove pulseaudio from my system and enjoy working sound. I've long since given up on filing bug reports.

-- Chris

OK, now it got weird. I see the permissions in /dev/snd don't actually change - they're permanently at 0660, owner root:root - and yet I can play sound from a ssh session as a common user. But not from a VNC server.

Then I appended ",MODE=0660" in the device lines at /etc/udev/rules.d/40-alsa.rules, rebooted, went in by ssh, changed runlevels with "init 3", stopped ConsoleKit and now I can't play sound, even as the users that could in the previous try. Moreover, ls -l /dev/snd shows my udev modifications were solemny ignored.

Restarted ConsoleKit - still no sound from ssh.
Went back to runlevel 5 - still no sound from ssh.
Rebooted, didn't change runlevels neither stopped any service - still no sound from ssh.

Clearly, something happened before the first reboot. It wasn't logging in and out of the GUI, I tried that too. OK, I'll ignore that and act as if it never worked.

By the way, I had already removed the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio RPM long ago.

Now I'm trying change the initlevel to 3 in inittab, disabling the GUI related services (ConsoleKit, NetworkManager, avahi-daemon, haldaemon, messagebus) only for that runlevel, and rebooting. Now I go by ssh -- still no go, aplay doesn't work and the device nodes are still 660. What the netherworld?

Needless to say, if I manually run "chmod 666 /dev/snd/*" everything works. Sigh. If you ask me, there seems to be too much mumbo jumbo happening behind the scenes. Annoying.

Ah, and there's more: the same thing happens in CentOS 5, which has no ConsoleKit.