Re: Why reboot after fdisk of external drive?

Simon Slater wrote:
	G'day again, It must be my day for questions.  This more for filling in
the blanks than problem solving.

	I'm thinking of getting a Maxtor OneTouch IV 250GB external drive, so I
googled other peoples experiences. On 2 sites (below) I found similar
explanations of the steps to get one working under Linux.  Both say to
reboot between fdisk and mkfs. Why?

1/  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~hnarayan/maxtor-harddrive-linux.html
2/  http://www.totalpenguin.com/content/view/25/40/

Years ago, the advice was to do sync;sync;sync to ensure that the changes were written out to the disk drive before you actually formatted it. I believe that recently the problem was to guarantee that the kernel hadn't cached the "old" partition table and scribbled in the wrong places during formatting.

I have run mkfs after partitioning on a number of disk (thank goodness I don't have to do this very often) without rebooting, so it may just be either paranoia, or an obscure problem with a specific chipset, or ....

YMMV, and I am not responsible if you try this and screw your disk up.  B^)

BTW, I have to believe that external drives (most of which are hot-pluggable) should not be subject to this restriction. If they are truly hot pluggable, then the most you should have to do is:

run fdisk
sync
unplug the drive
plug the drive back in
run mkfs

I have not tried this yet (my first external hard drive is still en-route from the retailer I've bought it from).

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx