Re: Mess in network

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 12:46 +0100, Antonio M wrote:
> 2008/3/10, John Austin <ja@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> >  On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 12:22 +0100, Antonio M wrote:
> >  > I have a router with two NIC's.
> >  > After this morning updates, definition of network interfaces was
> >  > garbled, I found etho.bak and eth1.bak in addition to eth0 and
> >  > eth1....but eth0 and eth1 were not activated at boot time, as they
> >  > were defined as getting address from a DHCP server.
> >  > therefore no internet connection and no DHCP.
> >  > I had to reconfigure eth0 and eth1 by hand, delete *.bak files and
> >  > restart system
> >  >
> >  > Anybody else with same problem???
> >  >
> >  > --
> >  > Antonio Montagnani
> >  > Skype : antoniomontag
> >  >

> > Hi Antonio
> >
> >  Yep - I have had the same problem
> >
> >  Also I'm not happy with the latest kernel and am
> >  staying with 2.6.23.15-137 for now.
> >
> >  John
> >

> >  --
> >
> John
>
> 1) do you have a single NIC system or two NIC'S system?
> 2) what is the problem with latest kernel??

I have two machines (fuerte and avon) that I have updated to 2.6.24.3-12.fc8

I updated avon first which has two nics one 100Mbit/s and the other 1Gbit/s.
I only use the 1Gbit/s nic.

I had been running VMware and VirtualBox on avon and I discovered
that I could not compile the drivers. (I now know the fixes for this)
So I had bridged entries br0 .......
I wanted to get rid of the br0 entry anyway as the boot
time was very long, up to 30seconds just getting IP address for br0 using DHCP,
So the update helped me !!!!

fuerte has just one nic and although I updated everything including the kernel
I have never booted it with the new kernel because I don't trust it !!
See 2.6.24.3-12.fc8 memory issue? thread on this list

Running with the older kernel 2.6.23.15-137, having brought in the new kernel and livna bits,
gave me problems with the nvidia drivers of course - which was also a pain.

I have ifcfg-ethx.bak type files on both machines which I just sorted out
assuming that I had screwed up somewhere.

John