Re: a request for wireless conection with the latest kernel.

On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 22:53 +0100, Jan Brosius wrote:
Frank Cox wrote:
        > On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 19:50:19 +0100
        > Jan Brosius <jan.brosius@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
        >

        >> Hello,
        >>
        >> I use fedora 8. I just installed the latest kernel and the
        nvidia module
        >> kmod-nvidia and now the nvidia driver doesn't work anymore
        with the
        >> oldest kernel.  The nvidia driver does work with the latest
        kernel  but
        >> my wireless connection doesn't work with the latest kernel.
        On the other

        "http://rpm.livna.org/whatever-nvidia-driver-you-require";

        > Note that I don't use the nvidia stuff so I'm not entire sure
        that this will
        > work, but I don't see any obvious reason why it wouldn't.

        Thanks for the hint but I needed also a xorg-nvidia-drv package
        for my
        old kernel and that package is not available anymore at livna.
        So I hope that there will come a new kernel that gives me back
        wireless connection.

It looks like what happened is that the nvidia driver version got
updated to 169.12.  There is no 169.12 kmod package for the old kernel,
and there is no 169.9 package for the new kernel.  But all the old
packages are still available in the Livna repo at http://rpm/livna.org.
So you could hack a return to the old kernel for now, if you need to.

In theory, you could build your own 169.12 kmod package for the old
kernel, but I'm not sure exactly what steps you would need to take.
--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs