Re: How to make the Installer add packages after fresh installation

Dean S. Messing wrote:
David Boles wrote:
Dean S. Messing wrote:
I just freshly installed F8 (February respin) and during installation
I added & subtracted the packages/package groups I wanted during the
package choosing phase.  Unfortunately, some package conflict caused
the installer to barf and exit prematurely.

So I tried to install but just installed the default system.
(I.e., I took the default package choices.)

Now I'd like to go back and use the same interface to (again) choose
the packages I want and "upgrade" the system.  However the installer
just skips the "package choosing" phase when I choose "upgrade" on the
existing system.

Is there a way to get the installer to do what I want?

Why don't you use the 'Install & Remove Software' option from the menu for this?

I'm not seeing this option.
Maybe more detail is needed.
I did a network install by booting off a Rescue DVD.
The options I see when it comes up are:

  Install or upgrade an existing system
  Install or upgrade an existing system (text mode)
  Rescue installed system
  Boot from local drive
  Memory test

"Install & Remove Software" does not ever appear (or I missed it) when
I choose the 1st option above.  At some point, after answering several
questions, entering the NFS server and directory, and a _long_ wait,
the installer brings up a nice graphical interface which gives me two
Radio Buttons:

   Install Fedora
   Upgrade an Existing installation

If I choose the first, it leads to stuff that looks like it will
overwrite the existing (freshly installed) system.

Here's a blow-by-blow if I choose the second option:

I get two more options:
Upgrade Fedora Core 5 (/dev/sda1)
  Upgrade Fedora 8      (/dev/sdb9)

I choose the 2nd, which is the freshly installed system to that I want
to add/subtract packages using the installer's interface

I now get 3 more Radio Buttons:
Update Boot loader configuration
  Skip boot loader updating
  Create New Bootloader configuration

I choose the 2nd and a popup says:

    Retrieving Installation Information

Then it says "Click next to begin upgrade of Fedora"

Then another Popup appears for about 1 microsecond :-) followed
by another which says

    Performing post upgrade configuration

Then I get:

  Congratuations, the installation is complete.
  Press the "Reboot" button to reboot your system.

Something of a let-down, I must say.

What am I doing wrong?

Nothing badly wrong really. You are just not clear on how this works :-)

Take the DVD out of the drive and let the system reboot. Then answer the final setup questions, let the install complete all by itself and then login as 'you'. Then look in the menu for the option that I mentioned and add what you wish. Oh. And be ready for some updated packages which you should let happen anyway. Linux is ever changing and there have been many changes since the DVD was made.

--

  David