Re: How to make the Installer add packages after fresh installation

Alex White wrote:
On Sat,  8 Mar 2008 15:43:42 -0800 (PST)
"Dean S. Messing" <deanm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> took out a #2 pencil and
scribbled:

David Boles wrote:
Dean S. Messing wrote:
I just freshly installed F8 (February respin) and during
installation I added & subtracted the packages/package groups
I wanted during the package choosing phase.  Unfortunately,
some package conflict caused the installer to barf and exit
prematurely.

So I tried to install but just installed the default system.
(I.e., I took the default package choices.)

Now I'd like to go back and use the same interface to (again)
choose the packages I want and "upgrade" the system.  However
the installer just skips the "package choosing" phase when I
choose "upgrade" on the existing system.

Is there a way to get the installer to do what I want?

Why don't you use the 'Install & Remove Software' option from
the menu for this?
I'm not seeing this option.
Maybe more detail is needed.
I did a network install by booting off a Rescue DVD.
The options I see when it comes up are:

  Install or upgrade an existing system
  Install or upgrade an existing system (text mode)
  Rescue installed system
  Boot from local drive
  Memory test

"Install & Remove Software" does not ever appear (or I missed it)
when I choose the 1st option above.  At some point, after
answering several questions, entering the NFS server and
directory, and a _long_ wait, the installer brings up a nice
graphical interface which gives me two Radio Buttons:

   Install Fedora
   Upgrade an Existing installation

If I choose the first, it leads to stuff that looks like it will
overwrite the existing (freshly installed) system.

Here's a blow-by-blow if I choose the second option:

I get two more options:
Upgrade Fedora Core 5 (/dev/sda1)
  Upgrade Fedora 8      (/dev/sdb9)

I choose the 2nd, which is the freshly installed system to that I
want to add/subtract packages using the installer's interface

I now get 3 more Radio Buttons:
Update Boot loader configuration
  Skip boot loader updating
  Create New Bootloader configuration

I choose the 2nd and a popup says:

    Retrieving Installation Information

Then it says "Click next to begin upgrade of Fedora"

Then another Popup appears for about 1 microsecond :-) followed
by another which says

    Performing post upgrade configuration

Then I get:

  Congratuations, the installation is complete.
  Press the "Reboot" button to reboot your system.

Something of a let-down, I must say.

What am I doing wrong?

Dean

I believe you're looking in the wrong place. It's not during
install that you want to do this. You want to Add and Remove
Software using /usr/bin/pirut

There should be a menu entry for it, but you can also call it from
the cli. pirut is a GUI app.

HTH,

Alex White

Hi Alex. What you said here is true. But this person is obviously a Newbie with Linux. So I think that you should keep all of the complicated 'little tricks' for later. What do you think?

--

  David