Re: help with transition ipw3945 --> iwl3945

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Jonathan Underwood
<jonathan.underwood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 08/03/2008, Manuel Moreno <manolo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  >
>  >  On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 14:07 -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
>  >  > I'm not a Linux newbie, I promise. Even though my wireless failure
>  >  > makes me look like one.
>  >
>  > ...
>  >
>  >  If you are running Fedora-8, use this kernel or better...
>  >
>  >  http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=42024
>  >
>  >  Then you'll see that everything works again ;-)
>
>  Actually, for me, that particular kernel doesn't work for iwl3945.
>
>  The one I've had most luck with is:
>
>  http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=39121
>
>  and to get it to work, I need to add the line
>
>  options iwl3945 disable_hw_scan=1
>
>  to /etc/modprobe.conf
>
>  You'll need to unload and reload the iwl3945 module and reload it for
>  that change to take effect, of course.
>
>  HTH, iwl3945 for me has been spotty with F8 - some kernels work, some don't.

Whew.  That pointer to

sent me off on a 6 hour waste of time.  I was getting pretty mad until
you posted this, now at least I don't feel alone.

Can I ask you this.

1. When you do get the iwl3945 to work, is it using NetworkManager?

2. in your dmesg output, do you see this udev message:

kernel: udev: renamed network interface wlan0 to eth1

In the Ubuntu user group, everybody is going on about how this is
causing the iwl3945 to fail for people who switch from the ipw3945
driver. I've tried deleting /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules,
and rebooting, but it does not help.

3. In your /etc/modprobe.conf, do you have an alias defined for the wireless?

It appears to me the reasonable thing is to fall back on the ipw3945
driver again, but I can't get ti to compile with 2.6.24.  So maybe I
should revert to the older kernel, but it is pretty depressing to
wrestle with this.  Hell, the Intel ipw3945 device must be used fairly
widely, and there are about a million Dell users floating about with
them.

Is there nobody who works on the kernel in Fedora stuck with ipw3945?
I can't understand how they keep trotting out iwl3945 and acting as
though it will work.

Well, there's my angry rant.

--
Paul E. Johnson