Re: usb_serial howto?

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Morgan Read wrote:
Hello Folks

I need usb_serial module loaded, but it doesn't seem to be available?

Hmm, so I can remove usb_storage but can't insert it again - perhaps the same is true for usb_serial? What should I use to load usb_storage and usb_serial? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,
Morgan.
The problem is that insmod need the path and the file name, or needs to be run in the directory containing the module, and the full file name. (usb_serial.ko) In most cases, you are better off using modprobe instead - it only needs the module name, and will take care of loading any other modules the module you are trying to load needs.

It is like the difference between using rpm to install a package, or using yum to install it.

Hi Mikkel

Thanks for following up - this is what I get with modprobe (which leads to the question: what do I yum install to get usb_serial?).

[root@morgansmachine ~]# modprobe usb_serial
FATAL: Module usb_serial not found.
[root@morgansmachine ~]# lsmod | grep usb
usb_storage            73601  0
scsi_mod              120013  5 usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,libata,sd_mod
[root@morgansmachine ~]# rmmod usb_storage
[root@morgansmachine ~]# modprobe usb_storage
[root@morgansmachine ~]# lsmod | grep usb
usb_storage            73601  0
scsi_mod              120013  5 usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,libata,sd_mod
[root@morgansmachine ~]# rmmod usb_storage
[root@morgansmachine ~]# lsmod | grep usb
[root@morgansmachine ~]# modprobe usb_storage
[root@morgansmachine ~]# lsmod | grep usb
usb_storage            73601  0
scsi_mod              120013  5 usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,libata,sd_mod
[root@morgansmachine ~]# modprobe usb_serial
FATAL: Module usb_serial not found.
[root@morgansmachine ~]#

I seem to have usb_storage installed (and working fine) but not usb_serial? Any ideas how I go about getting it? Or, is it somewhere and modprobe doesn't know where for some reason?

Regards,
Morgan.

--
Getting errors: "There are problems with the signature" (or similar)?
Update your system by installing certificates from CAcert Inc, see here:

Morgan Read
NEW ZEALAND
<mailto:mstuffATreadDOTorgDOTnz>

fedora: Freedom Forever!
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview

"By choosing not to ship any proprietary or binary drivers, Fedora does
differ from other distributions. ..."
Quote: Max Spevik
       http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/17/177220

RMS on fedora: