Re: usb_serial howto?

Morgan Read wrote:
Hello Folks

I need usb_serial module loaded, but it doesn't seem to be available?

[root@morgansmachine ~]# insmod usb_serial
insmod: can't read 'usb_serial': No such file or directory
[root@morgansmachine ~]# lsmod | grep usb
usb_storage            73601  0
scsi_mod              120013  5 usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,libata,sd_mod
[root@morgansmachine ~]# rmmod usb_storage
[root@morgansmachine ~]# lsmod | grep usb
[root@morgansmachine ~]# insmod usb_storage
insmod: can't read 'usb_storage': No such file or directory
[root@morgansmachine ~]#

Hmm, so I can remove usb_storage but can't insert it again - perhaps the same is true for usb_serial? What should I use to load usb_storage and usb_serial? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,
Morgan.
The problem is that insmod need the path and the file name, or needs to be run in the directory containing the module, and the full file name. (usb_serial.ko) In most cases, you are better off using modprobe instead - it only needs the module name, and will take care of loading any other modules the module you are trying to load needs.

It is like the difference between using rpm to install a package, or using yum to install it.

Mikkel