Re: ****Re: Help revert from KDE4

Craig White wrote:
On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 23:43 -0500, R. G. Newbury wrote:
R. G. Newbury <newbury <at> mandamus.org> writes:
> [...]
(...)

 > > And isn't that one HELL of an advert for stupidity too!.
 > >
> > And yes, it is....thankfully I have my data separated but it still takes a > > chunk of time, and now I have to re-update and install a whack-o-crap...
 > >

 >Well, you're a bit too nervous. You installed a development version,
 >guess you made a backup beforehand.
 >I'll spell it out, d-e-v-e-l-o-p-m-e-n-t version.

I'm not nervous, I'm bloody mad. I did not *choose* to install a developement version. Fedora 8 added the 'fedora-developement' repo to yum.repos.d. That sis not happen in Fedora 7. THEN, Fedora 8 appears to have automagically done a global update, although I did not ask for that. I was install a particular package for mplayer and used the -y switch. Fedora decided it needed 75 packages updated. I wasn't really watching as I did not suspect that I would be updated into crap.

Besides the utter stupidity of an install/upgrade methodology which is irreversable, KDE 4 is not yet ready for prime time.

I have since been able to confirm that Fedora now includes the dev repo as it was created/installed by default on the re-install...and I now have another case of library hell underway and will have to nuke the beast and start again, again. Because if ONE important file gets updated you cannot revert it out without removing the 40 packages which depend on it.

And no I didn't 'make a backup beforehand'. How could I reasonably make a backup of the entire OS? As it is, my data is on separate partitions. Nuking the / partition is no problem. The waste of time to reinstall is the problem.
----
it's included but not enabled by default

enabled=0

each is clearly labeled this way.

But in reality, this shouldn't be that big of a deal to go to runlevel
3, remove KDE-4, disable development if you enabled it, and install kde
all over again.

Craig

As Craig said here the development repo file is there but disabled. Actually it was there *before* you did your update. The updates that you saw were packages that changed from what you had installed from the DVD to what is current. Changes made since the disk iso was made.

Believe me. If you had updated from Fedora 8 to Rawhide, the development branch, the package count would have been more like 800-900 depending on what you had installed. ;-)

--

  David