Re: Help revert from KDE4

Words by R. G. Newbury [Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 11:43:57PM -0500]:
> >>"Start"
> > >
> (...)
> scratch.
> > >
> > > And isn't that one HELL of an advert for stupidity too!.
> > >
> > > And yes, it is....thankfully I have my data separated but it still takes
> > > chunk of time, and now I have to re-update and install a whack-o-crap...
> > >

> >Well, you're a bit too nervous. You installed a development version,
> >guess you made a backup beforehand.
> >I'll spell it out, d-e-v-e-l-o-p-m-e-n-t version.
>
> I'm not nervous, I'm bloody mad. I did not *choose* to install a
> developement version. Fedora 8 added the 'fedora-developement' repo to
> yum.repos.d.

Yeah. But did you enable it?

[japc@morgoth:/etc/yum.repos.d]$ grep ^enable fedora-development.repo
enabled=0
enabled=0
enabled=0

> That sis not happen in Fedora 7. THEN, Fedora 8 appears to have
> automagically done a global update, although I did not ask for that. I was
> install a particular package for mplayer and used the -y switch. Fedora
> decided it needed 75 packages updated. I wasn't really watching as I did not
> suspect that I would be updated into crap.

It is considered good practice to oversee installations/upgrades.

> Besides the utter stupidity of an install/upgrade methodology which is
> irreversable, KDE 4 is not yet ready for prime time.

It is not irreversible.
As for KDE4 that's a matter of opinion, I would upgrade now as the
improved konsole, konqueror, dolphin and gwenview are really good. And
so is plasma. But my distaste for manual labor always takes the best.

> I have since been able to confirm that Fedora now includes the dev repo as
> it was created/installed by default on the re-install...and I now have
> another case of library hell underway and will have to nuke the beast and
> start again, again. Because if ONE important file gets updated you cannot
> revert it out without removing the 40 packages which depend on it.
>
> And no I didn't 'make a backup beforehand'. How could I reasonably make a
> backup of the entire OS?

As everyone else, with rsync.

> As it is, my data is on separate partitions. Nuking
> the / partition is no problem. The waste of time to reinstall is the
> problem.

I don't do a clean install for 8 years now (tar and rsync have sufficed)
so I wouldn't know.

--
Jose Celestino
http://www.msversus.org/     ; http://techp.org/petition/show/1