Re: Konqueror vs Firefox

I'll try those tests on a few of the above machines but Gmail doesn't even render in Konq, so there is no way I will use it even if it's faster on the rendering test. I chose the SunSpider test specifically because more and more sites are becoming _javascript_ heavy.

Your stopwatch test would only be in Konq's favor for sites that didn't use _javascript_. Every single time Konq has to process _javascript_, you're going to be waiting.

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2008/3/7 Brian <Brian.Mingus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Sunspider: http://webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/sunspider.html
>
> This doesn't benchmark everything, but _javascript_ is important to me as I
> use apps such as Gmail constantly. Since these apps tend not to work in
> Konqueror anyway, they may not be relevant to you. But anything Konq does in
> _javascript_ is way slower than other browsers.

According to that test, Firefox is significantly faster than
Konqueror, but as you noted that this for _javascript_ only. And I have
to say, I seriously doubt the usefulness of this test. I know for a
fact that Firefox on my Fedora machines is significantly _slower_ than
Konqueror at rendering pages -- which to me is more important than
rendering _javascript_.

I don't mean to stress this too much, but Firefox on F7 lead me to
stop using my desktop machine for casual browsing of the internet.
When ever I need to visit webpages on my desktop, or develop web apps
from my desktop, I almost exclusively use Konqueror.

I strongly suggest that you try this rendering test instead:
http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/innerhtml.html

This shows Konqueror about twice as fast at rendering than Konqueror.
And if I were to do a stop watch rendering test I know that Firefox
would fail miserably in comparison to Konqueror.

Also, I am not alone:
http://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+linux+slow

( www.pembo13.com )