Re: google mail and thunderbird -

Jacques B. wrote:
 Firestarter indicated port 995 blocked so I opened both of them in the
 attempt to get things working.

 Curiously I am not seeing my own messages to the Fedora list.  I was
 alerted to that by Carrol Grigsby who sent to my address.
I don't POP my messages but I do seem to recall that when I'd send a
new message to the list I wouldn't see it even though it hit the list.
 My replies get sorted in the gmail thread no problem.

You'll truly appreciate that part of gmail.  Threads in mailing lists
are much easier to follow in gmail online.  When you POP it then it's
however your mail application sorts it.  Check it out online and see
how easy it is to follow a thread from start to finish and how gmail
hides quoted text unless you click on "Show quoted text"

Thunderbird has been threading my Fedora List messages for a long time. I don't think you can follow this list un-threaded!
 I noticed yesterday that I wasn't able to send a test message to myself
 at gmail either, some sort of system limitation?

No.  When I set up someone with Thunderbird & POP access to their
gmail and then sent a message to themselves to test it and it worked
fine.
Hmm, not sure what's happening but anything I send is hidden from me. The only record of this message I will have will be in the "sent" file. I am not receiving my own messages through the Fedora List, everything else seems to get to me, just not anything from myself? Google mail is doing some curious things.
 This change has been a real problem.  The Linux computer works with only
 those two problems observed so far, but we have a Windows XP and an
 Apple Mac that still have major problems which the ISP support is not
 much help solving.  They are obviously overwhelmed with people demanding
 assistance.  We will most likely spend the next week muddling through
 ourselves!

 Bob Goodwin

Jacques B.