Re: google mail and thunderbird -

Marc Schwartz wrote:

Can someone tell me how to deal with this mess?  At least point me in
the right direction.  I am still in shock and not sure what to do
next!

Bob Goodwin

You can access GMail just like any other POP or IMAP e-mail server.

Start here or do a Google search for "Thunderbird Gmail":

For POP:
  http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12805

For IMAP:
  http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12806

You can retain the filters in Thunderbird after fetching the e-mail from
Gmail or use the Gmail labels and filters to organize the e-mail into
virtual folders for using the Gmail web interface.

Take a deep breathe and do some reading...  :-)

One way to use gmail is to grab everything with POP either directly from a mail client, or with fetchmail and dump into your own IMAP server if you use several clients. These days you can use IMAP directly with gmail but since gmail lets you save an enormous amount of mail it can be slow when you connect a new client. You can configure gmail to archive a copy when you download via POP. This lets you delete your copy as you read it, but still be able to access it later if you use the gmail web interface.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx