Re: Yum packages (again)

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 10:41 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
> > With you. Once you have used a non-fedora repository you have assumed
> > responsibility for determining compatibility and resolving all
> > conflicts. Once you start using more than one you you have assumed
> > responsibility for those conflicts as well. The fault is yours.
> >
> > The solution is to put both repositories in as disables in the config,
> > then use --enablerepo on one or the other. I don't suggest mixing them,
> > I'm still trying to sort a problem I caused myself using only livna,
> > something used by pine isn't right and I can't find out what to get it
> > out and clean it up. Fortunately it's not critical on that system.
> >
> > I understand your problem, but you should understand it's YOUR problem,
> > you caused it, the responsibility lies with you. And for my broken
> > machine, with me.
>
> You are blaming the victim here for something that should be
> preventable.  Repositories don't _have_ to conflict with each other.
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx

Exactly my point. You have constantly said to one user or another this
same "solution". Obviously if a number of people have this same problem,
one would think you would be attempting to resolve the issue so you
don't have as many people asking over and over again rather than arguing
vehemently with them.

Surprise, surprise, people use many different types of software, and
guess what? Not all software that might be wanted is located in one
repo. And Yum would very well be easy to fix and resolve some of the
major issues here.

Either you want Fedora to be in use, or you don't. If even sysadmins
like myself find the software a pain to use, they may very well go
elsewhere - you may say fine to that, but then you might soon find
yourself a lone wolf with no one supporting Fedora anymore.

I'd like to resolve this issue myself but due to temporal deficiencies
am unable. Simple solution to merely get Yum to use one or the other
repo for a package group though, and notify of conflicts. Save yourself
rsi from arguing with users every few weeks...