Re: Audacity recording issue

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 07:46:48 -0800, Sean Bruno wrote:

> > > However, I do like the improvements in this version of Audacity.
> > >
> > > My testing scenario is:
> > >
> > > Run pidgin, run audacity, record something with audacity. No audio from
> > > Pidgin.  Sometimes audio card locks up and plays garbage audio requiring
> > > a reboot to clear.
> >
> > "garbage audio requiring a reboot" sounds like a problem at the level of
> > the ALSA driver.  Audacity uses ALSA natively and exclusively, not via a
> > PulseAudio interface.
>
> Won't that be an issue for Fedora Users then?
>
> I typically have Amarok and Pidgin running all the time.  I do not see
> these issues in this configuration, so I don't know if it's strictly an
> ALSA issue.

What I mean is, that terminating and restarting an audio application
should reset audio I/O to a good state. If that doesn't work, it's
evidence of a problem in the either the driver or the hardware. You
say you need a reboot, but perhaps you only need to restart PulseAudio?
And yes, Audacity on Fedora+PulseAudio can lead to some inconveniences,
and afaik there are no plans on supporting PulseAudio directly in Audacity.