Re: Fedora 8: tcsh .history file destroyed on exit?

James Frye wrote:
Hi,

I've just installed Fedora 8 on a new machine (Lenovo T61p), and am having
problems getting
tcsh to run correctly.  The main problem is that when I exit, the .history
file is destroyed.  It's
not that the current session history is not saved.  I copied a .history
file from my older machine
loaded it, and the history mechanism works as expected for that session.
On restart, though,
I find that the .history file has been truncated to 0 bytes.

This has been the default behavior for tcsh for many years. I can't even remember what year that changed ...

Check your .tcshrc -- your savehist may not be correct:  here is mine:

       set history=999
       set savehist=900 merge

I have two perhaps related other problems.  First, tcsh was not installed
by the install system.  I
had to compile it from source.  Second, the root user does not source
its .tcshrc file when I su
or log in as root.  I have to do this manually.
As another has suggested:

# yum install tcsh

It may not be a good idea to set root's shell to tcsh, since many processes executed as root may depend on bash syntax.

Having installed from source, the tcsh binary may have the wrong permissions:

-> ls -l /bin/tcsh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 351528 2007-08-31 03:39 /bin/tcsh*

Or may have been built with less than optimal 'configure' arguments.
If it helps, I run xterm under the fvwm2 window manage, and am using a
system setup that was
copied from the Fedora 7 install on my previous machine, and which have
worked with various
Fedora versions going back to 3 (IIRC), as well as other distros.

Good luck!