Re: comcast website's

Bob Kinney wrote:
--- Todd Zullinger <tmz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bob Kinney wrote:
I use Comcast also, and host my web site via my always-on
connection-- from inside my home.  This gives you the freedom to
make your site how YOU want it.  You own it, you control it.
And this is a violation of the comcast terms of service agreement last
time I read it.  Whether you, they, or anyone else cares is another
matter. ;)

I did take a look at that, and I believe it says that I cannot host a *commercial* site.

I believe when I last read it you weren't allowed to have servers.
In fact here's the exact line:

b. Prohibited Uses of HSI. You agree not to use HSI for operation as an
   Internet service provider, a server site for ftp, telnet, rlogin, e-mail
   hosting, "Web hosting" or other similar applications, for any business
   enterprise, or as an end-point on a non-Comcast local area network or
   wide area network.

It's oddly worded but I think what they mean is that you aren't allowed
to have a server that servers people outside your immediate network.

I'd sill argue that it's saying that you can't server you own LAN
as it's a 'non-Comcast local area network'. But they don't control
my home network and will never get me to shutdown my LAN services
on my private LAN.

I'd like to set up my own mail server for my domain, too, but
initial tests show that Comcast, in my area anyway, blocks outbound
traffic destined to port 25 (SMTP).  After one laughably ridiculous
conversation with their tech support, I haven't pursued it further.
Even if comcast didn't block outbound port 25 you'd find that many
other mail servers would not accept your mail because it was coming
from a known dynamic IP address pool.

Yeah, I suppose most mailers use some sort of blacklist these days.

Just use Google, to get mail use fetchmail, to send use sendmail:

http://www.linuxha.com/other/sendmail/gmail.html

I'm pretty sure the fetchmail info is on there too. I have my own
smtp service with my web hosting that is no associated with Comcast.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx