Re: command line sms tool

Pete Huckelba wrote:
Andrew Kelly wrote:
Hi y'all,

can any of you recommend a command-line tool for sending an SMS to a
cell phone? Half an hour of googl'ing has brought me only outdated,
half-finished or modem dependant stuff of little or no value.
Help much appreciated.

Andy

I can't vouch for the other providers, but ATT/Cingular works for me.

ATT/Cingular: phonenumber@xxxxxxxxxxx
T-Mobile: phonenumber@xxxxxxxxxxx
Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@xxxxxxxxx
Sprint: phonenumber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Verizon: phonenumber@xxxxxxxxx
Nextel: phonenumber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number

Try something like:

echo "my sms message" | mutt 1234567890@xxxxxxxxxxx

-Pete

I think that you should keep the message length to less than
160 characters for the message, from and subject. I'm not
certain of that but that's the impression I got from use
the test messaging app on my cell phone.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx