Re: Best solution for mail server?

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 17:41 +0100, Henning Larsen wrote:
> My problem now is that after booting the server it pulls mail, but
> after a while it stop. The process is sleeping and if i issue
> fetchmail from cli i get a message saying the daemon is being
> awakened, why is it going to sleep?

How long is a "while"?  Does it wake up and poll after the number of
seconds you set in the delay period?

If you set a period of 600, that's 600 seconds, or 10 minutes.  It'll do
a poll, then sleep for 10 minutes before the next poll (rinse, lather,
repeat).  You can wake it up earlier, if you want to.  It'll poll
immediately, then wait 10 minutes and start auto-polling every 10
minutes, again.

NB:  If you set really short poll periods, some mail servers may ignore
you for being a nuisance.  I wouldn't set it anything below 5 minutes,
and even that's quite short.  An ISP with thousands of customers all
checking their mail *every* few minutes might have some difficulties
coping with the workload.

If you have troubles with some polling, stop the auto-polling, and do a
manual poll but increase the verbosity (the -v option).  You'll be able
to see what actions are being taken while it polls, and server

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.