Re: Best solution for mail server?

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 13:12 +0100, Henning Larsen wrote:
> I have .fetchmailrc for all users in /root, and get the message that
> fetchmail should not be run as root. Where should I put .fetchmailrc
> and how should I start it, from rc.local? or as a service.

In my rc.local files I have lines like the following (below).  And each
user has their ~/.fetchmailrc file set for whatever servers their
accounts will poll.

su tim -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 900"
su john -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 1200"
su jane -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 1500"

I picked different polling periods so that mail runs will not run at the
same time as each other (spreading the workload around).  Any user can
stop their own automatic poll, and restart it, if they want to.

I only roughly picked different time periods, if I really wanted to
ensure that they hardly ever ran at the same time, I'd have used prime
numbers.  But I'm too lazy to bother to work out large prime numbers,
and I don't think it's that important for me.  It'd be different if you
had a large number of users, then it might be quite beneficial.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.