Re: Network Mangler assigns other IP to eth0??

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 08:12 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Mon February 18 2008, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > > Forget that lookup you did. 169.254........ addresses are link-local
> > > addresses used by zeroconf to assign an address when the device is set to
> > > use DHCP to get an address, but no DHCP server is available.
> > >
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address
> > >
> > > I can't speak to your setup, but, it sounds like your DHCP server is not
> > > coming up before your card is attempting to be assigned an address.
> >
> > NetworkManager doesn't (yet) do static addresses or start-on-boot.  If
> > you want either of those, set
> >
> >         NM_CONTROLLED=no
> >
> > in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (or set the appropriate
> > option in system-config-network).
>
> yes, that too - good catch, Matthew - I'd forgotten that bit about NM not
> handling statics...

<giggles inanely> You mean when I check the "static IP" box and then
proceed to fill in the little boxes with addresses, netmask, and all
that stuff, then click to set startup on boot, that it's just <shakes
involuntarily> contrived and it does nothing? Crap, I have nothing
useful lying around to kill myself with.

<chews carpet> I could make a bazainnion dollars coding little apps that
do nothing, but give you an interesting place to enter shit and click on
cute leetle check boxes that makes no difference. At least nothing is
hurt, but my pride. <hugs computer warmly>

Has Bill Gates caught onto this? Don't let him find out, or he'll want
to market it and charge large money and license fees!

Well, it WAS sorta fun, I gotta admit. I thought I was actually doing
something, playing with "activating" and "de-activating" for sEvErAl
DaYs. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That wasn't what I wanted to hear.

<wayward4now will now be known as "wayward4then">

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar