Re: Network Mangler assigns other IP to eth0??

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 10:20 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
On Mon February 18 2008, Ric Moore wrote:
My eth0 interface keeps injecting this IP address
whois 169.254.136.49
[Querying whois.arin.net]
[whois.arin.net]

OrgName:    Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
OrgID:      IANA
Address:    4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
City:       Marina del Rey
StateProv:  CA
PostalCode: 90292-6695
Country:    US

I have my modem (ppp0) set to use dhcp and my ethernet card set to
static IP: 192.168.1.101, using network manager, but the SOB keeps
reverting eth0 back to 169.254.136.49. What's with that???

I have no clue, but it's annoying as all hell because I have a local net
with drive mounts to and from my other machines. Looks like some
hand-edits are in order. Best suggestions? Ric
Forget that lookup you did. 169.254........ addresses are link-local addresses used by zeroconf to assign an address when the device is set to use DHCP to get an address, but no DHCP server is available.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address

I can't speak to your setup, but, it sounds like your DHCP server is not coming up before your card is attempting to be assigned an address.

NetworkManager doesn't (yet) do static addresses or start-on-boot.  If
you want either of those, set

        NM_CONTROLLED=no
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (or set the appropriate
option in system-config-network).

??? I don't have that in any of my FC[678] machines, and they just have the IP, NET, and NETMASK set. See ifcfg-lo for an example.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>