Re: samba remote share feature is broken in F8

2008/2/17 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > 2008/2/17 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >> It sounds like you are always connected to the same network. If so,
> >> especially if you are using Ethernet, you would be better off using
> >> the network service instead of the NetworkManager service to bring
> >> up the network. You can change this using the System -->
> >> Administration --> Services menu entry.
> >>
> >> As a quick check to see if this will work for you, you can boot to
> >> run level 3 instead of run level 5. At run level 3, the network
> >> service is used.
> >>
> >> Mikkel
> >> --
> >
> > I move around quite a lot, and use different lan and wireless
> > networks. I need NetworkManager service because of it's easy to use
> > wireless feature. When I'm at home there I connect to my samba shares
> > but it would be painfull to switch all the time between network
> > service and NM service :(
> >
> > Is there any way to fix this?
> >
> One way would be to configure run level 4 for home use, and run
> level 5 for use on the road. You could then have two entries in your
> grub.conf - one for normal run level 5 boot, and one for run level 4
> use. You would have to use chkconfig to have the proper services
> running at the correct levels.

This is a interesting workaround. I'll try that... but I would love a
solution that JustWorks for everybody.
In fedora 6 and 7 (pre NM) we had trouble connecting to wireless
networks but samba shares mounting and unmounting worked in every
situation.
Not with NM we have nice wireless support but samba mounting and
unmounting is broken :(

> Another possibility, but one I have no experience with, would be to
> have NetworkManagerDispatcher run a script that mounts the Samba
> shares when you connect to your home network, and unmounts them as
> part of the shutdown process. This has the advantage of making the
> change without rebooting or running telinit as root. But I am not
> sure exactly how to do it... I suspect that you can have it run one
> script when connecting to a specific network, and another when
> disconnecting from it.
>

> Mikkel

Maybe I wasn't clear in my initial email, but that is exactly what I
have tried and it doesn't work! NetworkManager kills the connection
before NetworkManagerDispatcher unmounts samba shares.

Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic