Re: samba remote share feature is broken in F8

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Valent Turkovic wrote:

I move around quite a lot, and use different lan and wireless
networks. I need NetworkManager service because of it's easy to use
wireless feature. When I'm at home there I connect to my samba shares
but it would be painfull to switch all the time between network
service and NM service :(

Is there any way to fix this?

One way would be to configure run level 4 for home use, and run level 5 for use on the road. You could then have two entries in your grub.conf - one for normal run level 5 boot, and one for run level 4 use. You would have to use chkconfig to have the proper services running at the correct levels.

Another possibility, but one I have no experience with, would be to have NetworkManagerDispatcher run a script that mounts the Samba shares when you connect to your home network, and unmounts them as part of the shutdown process. This has the advantage of making the change without rebooting or running telinit as root. But I am not sure exactly how to do it... I suspect that you can have it run one script when connecting to a specific network, and another when disconnecting from it.

I forgot about another way to do this - If you create /sbin/ifdown-pre-local and have it unmount the Samba shares before bringing the interface down. The interface is passed to the script, so you could do a test on the interface if you want. You can use the -t option of umount so that you only unmount the Samba shares, and not have to worry about what shares are mounted. (That way, if no shares are mounted, you do not get an error message.)

Mikkel