Re: best way to upgrade an FC6.i686 to F8.x86_64 - don't - fresh install instead.

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
I've just finished an aborted attempt to install FU 20070204 8 X86_64 on
my laptop, currently running an FC6.i686 installation.
Try #1:  I tried the "upgrade" option.  Anaconda tells me that this
method is not supported and may fail since I am changing architectures.
It isn't supported. No work has been done in trying to mkae it possible.

So, what did I do wrong, and how do I fix it?
Sounds like there are some packages installed from the new distro/arch.

BTW, my disk is essentially partitioned into a single "/" partition, and
I'm interested in losing my local data in /home by re-formatting....
I guess you meant _not_. What ? no boot or swap ?
Make a back of /home data to another disk or system. It makes it a lot easier to mess with this stuff, and not lose info. Once that is done, if you do have swap, it might be big enough to change to ext3fs to hold the contents of you /home dir. Move the data there, then you can do a fresh install overwriting your old / with /boot / /home. Or maybe swap is big enough to hold a minimal system install that you can use to resize partitions {or do it from the rescue CD}. gparted gui makes expanding or moving ext2/3fs easy, but I don't think it can reduce the size of it.

by losing the list of all of my installed RPMs (so I can re-create my
system after the architecture change).
rpm -qa --qf="%{name} ">rpms-installed.txt
This makes one long line of space separated package names. You might need to separate them into blocks that aren't too big for the yum command line to have trouble with.

DaveT.