Re: how to unmount /var

Le 18.02.2008 01:28, Ed Greshko a écrit :
| François Patte wrote:

|> small.

|> |
|> | why do you have to unmount it? If you are using LVM and ext2/3 you
|> | should be able to do this online.
|> |
|> | lvextend -L +<SIZE> /dev/volgroupname/var_volume
|>
|> thanks for this info
|> .
|> |
|> | resize2fs /dev/volgroupname/var_volume
|>
|> It seems that it is dangerous to use this:
|>
|> <lvm-howto>
|> Unless you have patched your kernel with the ext2online patch it is
|> necessary to unmount the file system before resizing it. (It seems that
|> the online resizing patch is rather dangerous, so use at your own risk)
|> </lvm-howto>
|>
|> How can I be sure that fedora kernels are patched like this?
|>

| They are....assuming you're not running an ancient FC.

Last kernel in f8 seems to be: at least for one time, because I used it
without unmout, due to some impossibilty for me to unmount the /var
partition.... some mistake of mine.

| And if you don't
| like to use the command line, the GUI for resizing works just fine
| online, all the time.

You mean system-config-lvm? Works fine, yes, but will do absolutely
nothing if the partition you want to resize cannot be unmounted.

- --
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique
Université Paris Descartes