Re: how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

I have a similar problem and solved it this way:

I got an old Compaq server from e-bay. populated it with a bunch of high capacity SATA drives and a SATA controller. Some limited sheet metal mods and a bit of velcro made it all fit.

Next loaded Linux on a small drive, 40GB. Made a soft RAID 5 array out of the other drives, 2TB.

I setup RSYNC to run on different places and put them in the appropriate CRON directory.

I setup a RSYNCD in each of the systems I wanted to backup. There is a great Windows version.

The system has been on line for a year. One SATA drive died and I hot-swapped it and continued on.

The key is cheap drives, rsync and Linux. The whole deal set me back less than a tape library.

Mike

Robert L Cochran wrote:
Frank Cox wrote:
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 22:33:00 +0100